Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hydrate!

Part of the activities during the POC- PSC National Games 2011  was a nightly seminar on various sports- related topics. During a lull from work, I sat in in one (actually more to eat as the seminar room was also the dining hall) and caught parts of the talk given on May 24 on the need to hydrate. Gatorade was one of the sponsors for the Games.

I only caught a short part of the seminar and was only half listening when I was there (I was busier catching up with the other PSC staff, chit chatting. ;-p) but this is the little that I got from it.

     Thirst is stage 1 of dehydration. (Oh dear, I'm always thirsty, like right now.)

     Dehydration affects sports performance. (There was some data on how many seconds or how many feet you lose depending on how dehydrated you are.)


     However, a well hydrated team doesn't necessarily mean you have a winning team. I believe it was San Beda's team that had only 3 players who were not dehydrated while UP's team had only 3 players who were dehydrated. (Check out college basketball stats. ;p)


     You can tell how dehydrated you are by the color of your urine. We were shown a photo showing various beakers with different urine samples. By the color of the samples, it was easy to point out which one was most dehydrated. (According to the speaker, it was James Younghusband's. I know, too much info, right?)


     Gatorade is best taken ice cold. What he said was, best temperature for "stomach to circulation". 


     Asked for a cheaper or make-your-own drink alternative, he gave a recipe but I didn't catch the proportions of water, salt and sugar plus "put in some flavor because it really doesn't taste too good".


For more articles on Gatorade's research, go to the Gatorade Sports Science Institute website here.

***** ***** ***** *****

I've never tasted Gatorade or any other sports drink. Ever. Nor any of those energy drinks. I just never thought I needed it. I'm beginning to be very curious though so maybe I'll try it out soon.

I was aiming to drink ten glasses of water everyday. I don't think I've been drinking that much. I don't drink enough. Sigh.

To fill in some, uhm, gaps in my knowledge, I did some googling and found these:


And, what a coincidence, just a few days ago CatholicMom.com shared a link to a post with these homemade sports drink recipes:

All-Natural Sports Drink – Lemon Flavor:
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 t. sea salt
  • 2 quarts water
Mix well.  Makes a little over 2 quarts.

Sonia’s All-Natural Sports Drink – Cranberry-Pomegranate Flavor:
  • 2 c. 100% juice cranberry-pomegranate juice
  • 1.5 individual packets of Stevia (or to taste)
  • 1/4 t. sea salt
  • 2 quarts water
Mix well.   Makes 2 1/2 quarts. (To tweak the recipe, do not add more of the pre-made juice. Rather, add more stevia or lemon/lime juice.)
This table from here is also pretty helpful as it shows how much water and salt you need to add to pre-made juice.

Hydration Fruit-Ade recipes for 2 quarts (64 oz).

Fruit juices vary widely in the amounts of sugar that they contain. Read the Nutrition Facts on the label of your juice to learn how much sugar it contains per 8 oz serving. Then use the table below to dilute your choice of fruit juice to the exact sugar level that is needed in a sports drink. Add stevia or other sugar-free sweeteners or flavor enhancers if needed.
sugar per 8 oz serving amount juice amount water amount salt 
8g64 oz0 oz1/4 tsp
12g43 oz21 oz1/4 tsp
16g32 oz32 oz1/4 tsp
24g21 oz 43 oz1/4 tsp
32g16 oz48 oz1/4 tsp
40g13 oz51 oz1/4 tsp
48g11 oz53 oz1/4 tsp


All this googling's also shown that coconut water is an excellent electrolyte drink. Buko juice! 


1 comment:

  1. yes, buco juice is great for UTI too!! been trying to keep hydrated! difficult to keep liquids down lately ;(

    ReplyDelete