Wednesday, July 03, 2013

From the Kitchen: Chili for Rocky

For Father's Day, I usually cook something special for Rocky. Since I had ordered Lechon from Pepita's Kitchen for Father's Day, Rocky's chili came a week late. He's been asking for chili so I finally made him some.

Chili

around 6 slices of bacon
1 kilo ground beef (the best kind I could find)
3 or 4 onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic, finely chopped
around 1/4 cup chili powder (most likely more)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 bottle of Cerveza Negra
1 big can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of black beans (which I omitted because he said he didn't want it)
cheddar cheese, shredded

I feel like I make chili differently every time I make it.  I haven't found a recipe that was perfect and it kinda stresses me out to have to work in the kitchen "according to taste". I want a recipe I could follow to a T. But anyway, he always loves how it turns out so I should just relax. This is what I did.

Cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside but keep the oil.
Use half of the oil to brown the meat.
Use the other half of the oil to cook the onion and bell pepper until soft. And then add the garlic. Then the browned meat.
Then add the chili powder, cumin, oregano. Mix.
Add the beer and let it simmer until completely reduced.
Throw in the tomatoes.
Simmer for at least 1.5 hrs.
Adjust taste. (I added more chili and cumin. And salt).
Serve topped with crumbled bacon and cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment